The site homepage has now moved from http://essexmarineforum.co.uk/forum to http://essexmarineforum.co.uk
Please update your bookmarks and links.

To return to the homepage please click the link or the site logo at the top of the page.
The site is almost updated and is now functioning correctly. Although some features may still change these will be purely cosmetic.
This will not affect your posts, replies or images.

Phil

Phil's AC 5x2x2

174 posts in this topic

Suppose I'd better start this, as I'm building it up.

And before Roy whines at me, as I failed to do one for my last one.

So due to being in the process of getting divorced, I've had to move out, which meant getting a new tank.  So its not quite an upgrade, as I've downsized from 690 litres to 540 litres.  From a 4x2x3 to a 5x2x2.

As Roy recently pointed out the next tank is indeed one of Vince's Aquarium Connections rimless braceless mitred edge jobs, using 18mm optiwhite glass.  The tank comes with an external weir, which does leave more space in the tank, and will make getting a decent flow round the tank easier.  There's two overflows, plus an emergency overflow, along with two return lines, fitted to either end of the tank.  So this should help eliminate dead spots.

The frame is aluminium.  Will need to create a shelf for my dosing pump, and my temperature controller.  I believe the sump is a triton style, so the overflows are setup for such.  Which is fine for what I need.  Looking forward to having a sump I can work in, last one was a pain in the arse, as the frame wasn't very tall, could barely get the skimmer cup off.

I will be transferring all my equipment over from my last tank.

So equipment is:

2 Gen 4 Pro radion XR30s

Deltec SC2060

Deltec PF501 Calcium Reactor

Deltec FR509 reactor

Innovative Marine large reactor

Jecod 12000lph return pump

STC 1000 temperature controller with Aqua medic titanium heaters

Kamoer stepper dosing pump for the calcium reactor, with a TMC solenoid

4 jecod rw3 circulation pumps

4ce8358f2ef546741a2e5784d74bd820.jpg

2eb968a5e9a07a5fe575ef56b474d43d.jpg
660a16454516e6afde36aef5308b163c.jpg
1daf7ed0f92d01364c6ce1896ef62827.jpg
08b18edfec9648c5595680d43ecfb46f.jpg

Will be using the siporax from my old system to provide filtration, along with Rowa being using in two reactors.  won't be transferring my refugium over, as I don't want a light unit in there sump, as I don't want algae growth on my siporax.  Unless I can figure a way round it, and see if I have space in the sump once all the equipment is in there.  Although the new fangled chaeto reactors could be an option, as it would be nice to have as another form of nutrient control.

Will also be using the two reactor method for the Rowa.  This was after a recent chat with David Saxby, he said it causes less shock to the system when changing Rowa, also when people think is Rowa is spent due to climbing PO4 levels, it does still have some life left in it, so buy running two reactors, I should get more life out of it also.

I guess the rest of the filtration will be taken care of by the large amount of live rock I have, got about 100kg to bring over.

Also to start the tank up I managed to get my hands on the some of the Prodibio start up, used this in the past to set tanks up when I've moved, and not lost anything.  Although it will be touch and go on this transfer, due to my old tank being neglected by me not being there, and issues with the return pump packing up.  So the corals are having a proper sulk.  and some SPS do not look good, so hopefully get things moved over this weekend.

4de4568635afb126740b86c70dd61d71.jpg

Stock wise. all I have left are my two yellow tangs, twistii wrasse, 3 bi-colour anthias, flame hawk, shrimp goby and his shrimp, leopard wrasse, pj cardinal.  So it shouldn't be too much load on the system.

Will post more pics as I set the tank up over the next few days.

Good job tony arseface b isn't on the forum.

do you remember the argument he started with me on the other place about precipitation- you need to throw that water away and start again!!!

Good job tony arseface b isn't on the forum.
do you remember the argument he started with me on the other place about precipitation- you need to throw that water away and start again!!!

Lol, yeah. But that's due to an imbalance in chemistry. Not being too salty. Twat.

0807a34e8768889edfd13b31f9724aa2.jpg

Tank is nearly full. Got most of my equipment from the other tank. Lights are on, along with circulation pumps.
Rock work is in, along with the sand.
Need to trip out tomorrow, and grab some cable ties, and screws, so I can sort out my plug situation.
Also need to setup a crap trap. Get the water cleared.

Leaks fixed. Water is now circulating.
8c18209326b33afc8f060e8ac766403a.jpg

Also has an occupant already. When I emptied my tank of livestock, I couldn't find it. Which was gutting, as it's one of my fave fish. And they're a pain to keep at the best of times.
When I went back to my flat after dropping off livestock, there he was swimming in the tank.
So I caught, and him took a risk putting him in the new tank, as I had no choice.
And somehow the Twistii wrasse is still alive.

d4bfa749c835946aa6a3391af62ecc95.jpg

Nuke proof mushrooms.
They were out of water for nearly 8 hours.
Previous, I have hit them with boiling ro water.
They also only had sunlight for 3 months, and even then it was just what came through the net curtains when I moved to the pub.
I just can't kill them off.

Well you've got them in your tank. Good luck.

Just took this from walking back from the car
1bd4e65ebbaf3bcfeda36b8f0e93ba2b.jpg

Think I'll be giving James a run for his money with these radions. Lol.

I've had a similar problem with Mushrooms and Palys, no matter how many times I've removed them, one always pops up somewhere in the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked my corals and fish back up today. Only one casualty which was the goby, jumped.
The corals some how survived the stress of being moved in a hurry, after all the other tank issues.
So huge thanks to Cliff at Fintasia. Bailed me out again.
So just acclimatising now.
f07cf64a6b3957201451e75faf0312af.jpg
f78f111dd173d2c54bfdba0edf33270d.jpg

I'm sure you would.
Well all the corals are in. After flooding the front room, is partially closed the over flow to stop noise, and the excess water flooded over the top of the tank, and took out the power. Whoops.
This was the tank last night.
6a9831f3e44b9b91c02b2b2991d6a7d6.jpg

lol. You're bad enough as admin, Christ knows what you'd be like as a landlord.

Well so there's been no further repercussions from the spillage.

No losses over night, even some of the corals polyps are out.
Hopefully they'll colour up soon and start growing again.

Calcium Reactor is all setup and running.
So it's all sorted now, will just tweet it over the next few weeks.
Got the first of the diatoms kicking up, hopefully they'll die down quickly.

0d22d0d8e249923f27cdfdc24cb9914b.jpg

Well so far so good.
Had no coral losses, couple of heads lost on the anchor euphylia, and part of the bubble.
But the bubble part that shed, is still alive. So I wonder if this will be polyp bailout.
The sps seems to be getting its colour back pretty quick. And so far no stripping.
My only loss is my flame hawk, decided to jump out.