The site homepage has now moved from http://essexmarineforum.co.uk/forum to http://essexmarineforum.co.uk
Please update your bookmarks and links.

To return to the homepage please click the link or the site logo at the top of the page.
The site is almost updated and is now functioning correctly. Although some features may still change these will be purely cosmetic.
This will not affect your posts, replies or images.

benjamin.l.jones.5

Bens salty box

103 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, in case you didn't know I'm Ben and I'm a fairly new reefer in Braintree, I'm now going to bore you tank thread and annoy you with my very bad typing, hope you enjoy

well I thought It was about time I started a tank thread and also I wanted have a place to keep a log of mostly everything going on with the tank,

So as some will know I have for the past 10 months been running an Aquareef 275 which has been a great tank and I can't fault, well except it wasn't big enough so one day searching around as you do I came across the new tank which is 4ft x 3ft x 2ft high with an 40" x 28" x 15" sump so about 740l after displacement and had to have it,

So over the next few weeks between work the kids and fish tanks I managed to get it full and running with some help and advice along the way, as I had about 40kgs of live rock I thought I would get together about another 40 to get me on the right track, ended up with a fair bit of marco Rock which I love and it makes a great light base with good flow and some varying plates and what not, next was the sand which came in at 50kgs of reeflowers pearl white sand which i for the first time in aac only the week prior and had to have it (so far so good) sand was washed and added I HATE WASHING SAND lol, the rock placing began and my new rw20 turned up which for the price these jebao pump can't be beaten, so equipment so far in ehiem 5000 return, jebao rw20, jebao wp25 x2, AI vega x2 with director, reefloat ATU, waiting for my skimmer STILL (deltec 1455), t5 algea light, kamora doserthat's all for now but I'll update as and when,

So got everything transferred across which I was dreading, had the tank running a couple of weeks with some Dr tims and live rock and all tests were coming back spot on so I went for it, also the Mrs was getting on my nerves asking when she was getting the dinning room back as all my fish stuff was spread across the table and now I have the job of making the old tank look very nice to go to its new owner,

And so here it is as it stands, couple of rocks need moving and a fair few corals need to be puttied down

Thanks Ben

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still envious of the size of your tank - mines 4x2x2 - but that extra foot makes yours look 5 times the size of mine

You have much trouble reaching in there for maintenance etc?

Thanks, to be honest no it's pretty easy just use a longer scraper for the back and so on, I do like the depth you can create with the extra foot I think 3ft front to back is perfect as is 2ft high I can hardly reach the bottom of this! All I would do is keep going wider 6-8ft would be intresting

WOW that tank looks heavy :P

Well I'm sure you can shed some light on just how heavy it is can't you mate?? If you don't know Darren helped me in with this big old tank and it was fairly HEAVY to say the least and without Darren the tank wouldn't be in so thanks again fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm sure you can shed some light on just how heavy it is can't you mate?? If you don't know Darren helped me in with this big old tank and it was fairly HEAVY to say the least and without Darren the tank wouldn't be in so thanks again fella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your always welcome mate

Hiya Ben, good to see your tank up and running, nice one.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Cheers Paul yea it's starting to take some shape now, all SPS seem to have settle to the new tank and getting fair growth so if that carrys on another year should see it really looking good

Ben

Tanks ticking along nicely however lost a frag of a green smooth skin acro during the week which was annoying and I don't know why as everything else is fine including levels must have just not settled, on a better front we have a new resident

6fd581ade09edb3fcbc1cc3c3a9143a2_zpsnzre

This is purdy (missus named her) the powder blue that I've wanted before I kept marines she's from a local reefer which I wanted as she's a very settled fish and was swimming about grazing on the rocks as soon as she was in

Ben

Well tanks been going well picked up few bits lately but got to get a couple more at the weekend so will do a better update with pics,

I have however just pulled a lump of live rock out as it was covered in an aggressive black sponge which nearly destroyed a lovely lump of bright green plating monti which is now half the size due to this

Nice looking tank.

Is it a Fit Filtration? Looks very much like the one Amwell aquatics had.

Cheers mate, as for manufacture I'm not completely sure as I picked it up second hand and all the fella told me was it was a custom build, I got it from Nottingham though so don't think it would of come from amwell

Little video update as added a new bit of rock today to take place of the bit I took out due to a horrible sponge, why is it every time you move one thing everything moves then spent an hour getting everything look right so tank looks a little cloudy in the video,

Picked up some lovely SPS from aac on Friday got my bit of red setosa and a few mariculture frags one of which is the most gorgeous orange millipora the others are yet to be properly identified but should know more as they grow, all look great though

https://vimeo.com/135278729