The site homepage has now moved from http://essexmarineforum.co.uk/forum to http://essexmarineforum.co.uk
Please update your bookmarks and links.

To return to the homepage please click the link or the site logo at the top of the page.
The site is almost updated and is now functioning correctly. Although some features may still change these will be purely cosmetic.
This will not affect your posts, replies or images.

Fishpalace

Paul's Red Sea Reefer 450L

341 posts in this topic

Tank shot September 2015

IMG_0653_zpstgjr4gj7.jpg

December 2015

IMG_1830_zps95tslx5z.jpg

IMG_1904_zpsvknpq5lz.jpg

Summary of kit:

2 x Radion 3 Gen XR30 Pro's

1 x Radion 3 Gen XR15 Pro

2 x Eco Tech MP40QD powerheads

Eco tech Reeflink

NYOS Quantum 120 skimmer

Deltec FR509 fluidised reactor running rowaphos

Ecotech Vectra M1 return pump

1x Ehiem 200w heater

Apex controller

PH probe

Salinity probe

Temp probe

ORB probe

PM2 controller

2 x 6 power bars

2 x apex Dos pumps

First Post

After 11 months with my first marine tank I have decided to take the plunge and upgrade to the biggest tank I can fit into the dining room so chose a reefer 450. A beast of a tank with thick glass, 15mm front and 12 mm sides and is a quality build.

Saw a good offer on eBay, tank is only 4 months old with much of the kit being a lot newer so decided to take this route as substantially cheaper than buying new.

As already mentioned on another thread the family took a road trip to Derby on Sunday to collect in 2 cars but we had to leave much of the water behind as just not enough room. Once home it took 5 of us to move in to the dining room for a perfect fit.

image.jpg1_zpsay8v0otq.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsniwfgxit.jpg

Fortunately I had the existing tank still running and also set up 2 spare nano tanks just in case I needed to use. Glad I did as only managed to fill tank to half way and put live rock in with wave makers and heater to prevent die off before we gave up for the evening, a very long day.

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Day 2,

I went off to work and a little concerned that I would not have the time to fill and aquascape anytime soon however my wife, Jill, and youngest son decided to fill tank and also to aquascape to their own design being a wall of rock which I was not overly keen on. By the time got home they were finished and wow I was really impressed. Not only had they done this they had also transferred a number of fish and corals too and had saved me hours!!!

I was then left to set up the lights -

2 x radion 3rd gen pro XR30's complete with mounts

1 x radion xr15 pro with mount

Cracking LED's that look good, easy to use and fish and corals luv them and will be fitted to a reeflink, when I get a chance to set up. Top lights and one of the reasons why I bought the tank.

Also set up the return pump which is a Jecod DCT 6000 which then took an age to balance the flow into the tank and out through the down pipe to make it silent , which it was not for ages but is now silent.

A quick pic of what the tank looks like today.

image.jpg3_zpsogpcjlox.jpg

image.jpg1_zpszljl2vyw.jpg

Very nice Paul! Now get it filled with coral lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will take some to fill this one out, deep pockets required.

Going to let it settle for a month or so before adding additional coral or fish. skimmer is pulling out some gunk as some of the LR has some die off due to being out of tank for about 5 hours although kept in either salt water or wet in sealed builders bags.

Going to be patient, he says.

The build continues with the fitting of a NYOS 160 protein skimmer, designed for a 1000L tank, and a Deltec FR509 Fluidised Reactor with RowaPhos and a

Aquarium Systems NewJet 600 to circulate around the tank.  Took ages to set up the skimmer as the cup filled in 30 secs however sorted it by lifting it out of the water with 4 pieces of egg crate.

Also connected the ATU which is a simple system, by the looks of it.  The ATU unit hold 17L of RO which many have said is not enough however I have not used an ATU before so having not to top up every day is great.

IMG_0422_zpskfaizvs7.jpg

IMG_0428_zpsggwebqey.jpg

The skimmer is pulling out some gunk which is no surprise given the transfer of live rock from Derby to Essex

Corals are beginning to open up and look good, picked up a 10 head branching hammer a few weeks back and seems to luv it’s new home

image.jpg2_zpsywk830xh.jpg

I had a few corals left in my frag tank, a couple of hammers, zoas and small SPS's so transferred them over although have not glued them to live rock yet, a job for another day.

Before I close it down I have one more job to complete and that is what do I do with this stunning pair of juvenile Ora Picasso clown fish that are in the tank?  They are only about 1 inch long, came with the reefer 450 but I already have a pair of clowns and both my wife and 2 boys will not part with the existing pair.

Can I mix the 2 pairs in the 450 even though they are very different colours or do I need to sell them as they will fight to the finish?

IMG_0755_zpsbjycomuk.jpg

My original clown fish in new tank

IMG_2327_zpst33vicfr.jpg

Here's what the tank currently looks like,

IMG_2006_zpsnw1nwszm.jpg

IMG_2007_zpskpwu5zgi.jpg

Looks a little bare but loads of space to fill out over the next 12 months. Will go with a few SPS but dominated by LPS and a few zoas.

Did first water change of 50L today since starting tank just user 2 weeks ago and was a bit of a pain, too manual and had to empty from display tank as opposed to sump.  So popped out to H2O this afternoon and bought a Eheim compact 1000 and 3 meters of tubing so that I can empty from sump and then refill from water container.  Worth a go if it saves time, reduces lifting  and keeping the floor dry then game on.

IMG_2015_zps6md5zgai.jpg

IMG_2014_zpsltxzhd8k.jpg

A few shots of tank

Been impressed with the MP40QD's so far, only been on low so far and not fitted to reeflink but gives good flow and are quiet but not silent.

image.jpg1_zpsq07zceux.jpg

I was a little apprehensive of having 3 types of tang in the tank but so far so good and not seen any aggressive behaviour between the yellow, regal or vampire tang.  The vampire is the biggest at about 4 inches long whilst the other 2 are about 3 inches.

image.jpg3_zpsuntmjiv4.jpg

image.jpg3_zpsvp8ds97r.jpg

IMG_0485_zps2kkexubh.jpg

IMG_0435_zpsveoy41od.jpg

IMG_0433_zpsn4yxtptl.jpg

IMG_0431_zps8ly84jco.jpg

My favourite fish at the moment, the chalk goby.  A great little character that spends all day filtering the sand.  It is not for very every tank as I first put it in a holding tank of 135L and it created a sandstorm but fortunately does not have this effect on the 450 and I hope it continues to keep the sand clean.

IMG_0488_zpstxaqcqtc.jpg

In my last tank my pair of fire shrinks were always out and about but now rarely appear as so many places to hide.  a cracking shrimp 

IMG_0481_zpsahgz2ejw.jpg

Already had a green Tracky and new tank also had one but you can't get enough tracys as so colourful and illuminate the tank at night.

Hiya Paul, tanks looking lovely, quick question, when I set my sump up the manual said have 15cm's of water in there, but that isn't anywhere near enough, would you be able to measure your sump water level and let me know please. xxx

Set up Vortech programme via reeflink this morning and currently running tank as follows -

IMG_2026_zpsjsysquy0.jpg

IMG_2027_zpsjazqqpc3.jpg

Will see how it goes but I am thinking about setting up a couple of Jeboa rw4's to run at back of tank, to get some circulation behind the wall of rock to prevent dead spots. What do you think?

Paul

Hiya Paul, tanks looking lovely, quick question, when I set my sump up the manual said have 15cm's of water in there, but that isn't anywhere near enough, would you be able to measure your sump water level and let me know please. xxx

I have 26cm of water in middle section to enable it to go over the weir, through the sponge and into the last chamber with return pump. I'm have had to raise my skimmer on egg crate as water was too deep, needed to be about 22 cm and is consistent with guy I bought tank from too, as discussed with him.

The last chamber is 15 cm and I suspect the ATU keeps it at this level

Hope this helps

I have 26cm of water in middle section to enable it to go over the weir, through the sponge and into the last chamber with return pump. I'm have had to raise my skimmer on egg crate as water was too deep, needed to be about 22 cm and is consistent with guy I bought tank from too, as discussed with him.

The last chamber is 15 cm and I suspect the ATU keeps it at this level

Hope this helps

Thanks Paul, that's about what mine is now, instruction manual was bloody useless, I have to admit iv took a bit of inspection from you, one side of the tank is a wall ish while the other side is a tower. xxx

Thanks Paul, that's about what mine is now, instruction manual was bloody useless, I have to admit iv took a bit of inspection from you, one side of the tank is a wall ish while the other side is a tower. xxx

Sounds good, gonna start a thread as looking forward to seeing how it looks and asking lots of questions as mine is only 2 weeks wet today and still finding my feet, especially as I have not had a sumped tank.

The aquascaping is all down to my wife and youngest, really pleased with it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Tried the pump out and made a 25L water change and it worked well. No lifting or relying on gravity and no mess!! A small achievement but should save a lot of time

A poor picture of pump in sump

IMG_2019_zpsnk4wn45p.jpg

Clipped pipe to container so that it wouldn't pop out and flood the dining room.

IMG_2020_zpsu2jwbjnz.jpg

Paul

Got 3 frags today, here they are after about 30 mins in tank.  opening up nicely

Superman rainbow mushroom

IMG_0536_zpseloakctt.jpg

Laser lemon zoas

IMG_0539_zpswmn7w9v2.jpg

Florida ricordea, I think it is yellow

IMG_0532_zpsc4kuqa5g.jpg

Will take a couple of pics once settled and and under whites

Thanks to @rtigerc and @darren west for lending me containers to transport and make sufficient water for new tank.

Roy, thanks for popping in earlier.

Paul

Bit of a shock today, my first carpet surfer.

Walked into the dining room this morning to find my peacock wrasse on the floor in front of the tank, no idea how long he had been there.

Put him in the tank but was motionless and a couple of cleaner shrimps started on him. So picked him up from bottom of tank and started to move him backwards around the tank to get some water through the gills and popped him into a bag of water so that he wouldn't be bother.

10 mins later and his gills were moving so put him back in tank and he buried himself into sand.

Anyway this evening, he was feeding on some mysis so looks like a close escape but will see how it goes over the next day or 2.

Phew

Not run carbon before in a tank so now I have room, in a sump, I bought a litre of rowa carbon.

image.jpg2_zpsjypw67xa.jpg.

I know many people use a reactor but I already have a deltec for rowaphos so decided to use the 2 socks that come with it, 500ml in each.

image.jpg1_zps9y5d5xf1.jpg

Positioned one in between the outlet for reactor and intake for skimmer whilst the other sock is going just before the intake of return pump to maximise flow through it without blocking it.

Paul

That's a lot of carbon to be running mate

I run carbon but only 300g at a time.

Why did you decide in running a whole kilo of carbon.

I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware carbon once full will release back in to the water unlike rowa

That's a lot of carbon to be running mate

I run carbon but only 300g at a time.

Why did you decide in running a whole kilo of carbon.

I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware carbon once full will release back in to the water unlike rowa

Popped into H2o and John recommended this amount for a 450L. Your not the first person to say I have gone OTT so will leave for a week and take one bag out.

How often should I change it? I was thinking every 4 weeks which if I am adding only 300ml will last a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free