The site homepage has now moved from http://essexmarineforum.co.uk/forum to http://essexmarineforum.co.uk
Please update your bookmarks and links.

To return to the homepage please click the link or the site logo at the top of the page.
The site is almost updated and is now functioning correctly. Although some features may still change these will be purely cosmetic.
This will not affect your posts, replies or images.

Sign in to follow this  
Stephen sheldrake

High nitrates

32 posts in this topic

I have high nitrates is there any thing I can use to lower them I do run a Pearl reactor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get a nitrate remover but will not sort the underlying reason for high nitrates though. Any idea why it is higher than you want and how high is it? Also is it affecting corals?

Paul

You can get a nitrate remover but will not sort the underlying reason for high nitrates though. Any idea why it is higher than you want and how high is it? Also is it affecting corals?

Paul

Hi paul I was going to do a big water change then re test
My nitrates are up around the 100
I haven’t really had much growth on my corals
I purchased BTA had it 9 day never came out and eventually died after doing a bit of research I understand they don’t like high nitrates
Many thanks Steve

So there must be something that is driving nitrates that high -

Overfeeding
Insufficient water changes in a regular basis
Bioload is too high, too many fise
Insufficient filtration, Rock, mechanical or chemical for example

If you want to confirm the above then might be able to help?

I have had men’s twice and both did not end well. I personally would not have another Ben as environment needs to be right. However some Reefer can keep them for years.

So there must be something that is driving nitrates that high -

Overfeeding
Insufficient water changes in a regular basis
Bioload is too high, too many fise
Insufficient filtration, Rock, mechanical or chemical for example

If you want to confirm the above then might be able to help?

I have had men’s twice and both did not end well. I personally would not have another Ben as environment needs to be right. However some Reefer can keep them for years.

I feed once a day I do 100 litre water change once a month which is a 25%
I’ve had a pearl reactor running for about 2 months
Run a phosphate reactor
And a skimmer

I feed once a day I do 100 litre water change once a month which is a 25%
I’ve had a pearl reactor running for about 2 months
Run a phosphate reactor
And a skimmer

Have you tested R.O. as that could have high nitrates and I would break that down to do a 10% water change per week as 25% could make corals sulk.

I assume phosphate is ok? It could be that the bio pellets are not effective so not removing nitrates

I had high nitrates and corals sulking in my frag tank. The pump broke on bio pellet reactor and since then nitrates have improved ,as I also have an algae reactor, and corals are growing and the best colour I have seen since setting tank up.

Paul

Have you tested R.O. as that could have high nitrates and I would break that down to do a 10% water change per week as 25% could make corals sulk.

I assume phosphate is ok? It could be that the bio pellets are not effective so not removing nitrates

I had high nitrates and corals sulking in my frag tank. The pump broke on bio pellet reactor and since then nitrates have improved ,as I also have an algae reactor, and corals are growing and the best colour I have seen since setting tank up.

Paul

Hi paul
No I haven’t tested RO for nitrates I will do that tonight
So would you suggest I do a 10 % water change a week rather than 25% a month
Yes phosphate are ok tested them on Sunday
So should I keep pearl reactor going
.steve

Hi paul
.steve

Hi paul With the Algae reactor do you still run a phosphate reactor

Hi paul With the Algae reactor do you still run a phosphate reactor

I have been but when I get a chance I will turn the phos reactor off and see what happens.

However it is a 210L tank with only 7 fish in it and also have a rollermatt fitted but no skimmer

I have been but when I get a chance I will turn the phos reactor off and see what happens.

However it is a 210L tank with only 7 fish in it and also have a rollermatt fitted but no skimmer

So with an algae reactor you wouldn’t need the pearl reactor .steve

Hi paul
.steve

Loads of way to maintain a tank but little and often helps to keep water stable and less likely for corals to sulk or to slow growth.

How many fish you got for the 400L tank, assume not overloaded?

As for bio pearls it is a difficult one as it could be having an affect and nitrates are leaching from somewhere else or they maybe ineffective. If you switch them off then you have to remove them and restart from scratch, should you want to put them back online again.

Moving to weekly water changes could help but I don’t believe that will sort nitrates although I might be wrong.

If you switch off bio pearls then you are going to have to find a different method of taking nitrates out such as algae bed or reactor or carbon dosing such as nopox.

Pa

So with an algae reactor you wouldn’t need the pearl reactor .steve

Ok that’s good
So perhaps do a good water change then after that do 10%water changers per week and introduce an algae reactor hopefully nitrates will do down

Loads of way to maintain a tank but little and often helps to keep water stable and less likely for corals to sulk or to slow growth.

How many fish you got for the 400L tank, assume not overloaded?

As for bio pearls it is a difficult one as it could be having an affect and nitrates are leaching from somewhere else or they maybe ineffective. If you switch them off then you have to remove them and restart from scratch, should you want to put them back online again.

Moving to weekly water changes could help but I don’t believe that will sort nitrates although I might be wrong.

If you switch off bio pearls then you are going to have to find a different method of taking nitrates out such as algae bed or reactor or carbon dosing such as nopox.

Pa

Hi paul thanks for getting back to me
I have 10 fish in my 400l tank wish I feed once a day
Ive had high nitrates for a long time pearl reactor been running for about 2 month with no effect really I’m looking to get an algae reactor they are good for removing nitrates

Steve

Ive had high nitrates for a long time pearl reactor been running for about 2 month with no effect really I’m looking to get an algae reactor they are good for removing nitrates

Steve

2 months is not that long to have a pearl reactor running but should of started to affect tank by now.

I have the ALR1 and was not sure at 1st but since it settled in and biopellets stopped it has sorted nitrates. Takes time though as algae needs to grow out

Paul

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve

I did this review after 4 months and should do another one now as been 8ish months.

2 months is not that long to have a pearl reactor running but should of started to affect tank by now.

I have the ALR1 and was not sure at 1st but since it settled in and biopellets stopped it has sorted nitrates. Takes time though as algae needs to grow out

Paul

Thanks Paul for your help on nitrates I’m going to get an ALR 1 I’ve been to aac but unfortunately they were out of stock got some coming in soon .steve

Thanks Paul for your help on nitrates I’m going to get an ALR 1 I’ve been to aac but unfortunately they were out of stock got some coming in soon .steve

Snap, I bought mine from Paul and also bought an eheim pump too as really solid.

No problem.

Snap, I bought mine from Paul and also bought an eheim pump too as really solid.

No problem.

Yes that’s the same pump he recommended to me so I’ll be getting soon thanks again paul .steve

Yes that’s the same pump he recommended to me so I’ll be getting soon thanks again paul .steve

When you picking it up Steve?

It Will need some time to bed in and start to grow out but should help. U gonna switch reactor off?

When you picking it up Steve?

It Will need some time to bed in and start to grow out but should help. U gonna switch reactor off?

Hi paul picked up my ALR1 today
It wont fit in my sump do you think be ok to stand it in a bucket and I’ve take my pearl reactor out
Steve

Hi paul picked up my ALR1 today
It wont fit in my sump do you think be ok to stand it in a bucket and I’ve take my pearl reactor out
Steve

You can run it external but make sure you get jubilee clips otherwise you could have the pipe work pop off. Did you get cheats with it?

Will take a bit of time to kick in so I would increase water changes and limit feeding. Difficult to say about pearls as do not know what affect it is having.

Do you have a phos reactor working

You can run it external but make sure you get jubilee clips otherwise you could have the pipe work pop off. Did you get cheats with it?

Will take a bit of time to kick in so I would increase water changes and limit feeding. Difficult to say about pearls as do not know what affect it is having.

Do you have a phos reactor working

Hi paul Yes got phos reactor still running
I’m plumbing it in tomorrow so I’ll get some Jubilee clips
Yes got cheats with it done a good water change today hopefully it will help .steve

Hi paul Yes got phos reactor still running
I’m plumbing it in tomorrow so I’ll get some Jubilee clips
Yes got cheats with it done a good water change today hopefully it will help .steve

Your call but i would switch off the pearls and check parameters twice per week and see what happens. The downside is once you switch off the bacteria will die once removed so you will have to do something else, should they have actually been working and ALR takes time to kick in.

I have an ALR1 and rowa and the combination takes care of both po4 and n03 but every set up is different.

Your call but i would switch off the pearls and check parameters twice per week and see what happens. The downside is once you switch off the bacteria will die once removed so you will have to do something else, should they have actually been working and ALR takes time to kick in.

I have an ALR1 and rowa and the combination takes care of both po4 and n03 but every set up is different.

Thanks Paul
Yes I’ve turned off pearls
The pearls hadn’t reduced my nitrates
Yes I’ll keep rowa going along side ALR .steve

Thanks Paul
Yes I’ve turned off pearls
The pearls hadn’t reduced my nitrates
Yes I’ll keep rowa going along side ALR .steve

No problem. Keep us updated

Also are you gonna run 24/7 or opposite to lights?

Paul